Discover the next Open Days Milano · Firenze · London · Paris · Dubai Register nowDiscover the next Open Days

Health and Wellbeing

Should I get private medical insurance in my home Country before I leave?

It is recommended that you get private international health insurance in your own country before departure to make sure you have easy access to treatments and medical consultations, no waiting lists, and more freedom of choice.

What about the French National Health Service?

The French social security provides European and international students with social coverage while studying in France.

There are three steps to take:

Step 1: Get a provisional certificate

For this you need to provide:

  • The enrolment certificate for the current academic year or your student card
  • Your passport or identity card
  • Your student visa. Long-stay visas equivalent to a residence permit (VLS-TS)temporary long-stay visas (VLS-T)  and C and D visas are accepted.

European students who do not need a visa, will need to provide a S1 medical form together with the enrolment certificate and an ID to get a provisional certificate.

You can start the procedures on the website of the health insurance dedicated to foreign students as soon as you are registered at Istituto Marangoni Paris school.

More information about the procedure can be found here.


Students from the European Union and EEA countries have access to the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). They don't need to register for French Student Social Security as the EHIC gives access to medical care in France. This card must be requested in your country of origin and be valid until at least the end of the academic year.

The full list of countries can be found here.

Step 2: Finalise your registration

If you came with a VLS-TS, you may start the procedure as soon as you have validated your residence permit and opened a bank account in France.

For this you need to provide:

  • Your residence permit. This will be your visa validated by the Ministry of the Interior .
  • proof of civil status (birth certificate for example). A translation will be requested from non-European students. No translation will be required for European students (except for Greek and Bulgarian students).
  • bank account statement in my name. If I do not have a bank account in France, I can fill in the bank details (IBAN) of an account abroad.


If you came with a VLS-TS, you will get a definitive social security number .

If I came with a VLS-T, you will  keep your provisional number.

Step 3: Create a personal account

You need to create a personal account on the website. You will be able to manage your reimbursements in the personal account space.


Your health coverage is retroactive to the date of registration at Istituto Marangoni. Any care you receive after you register will be covered.

The social security site dedicated for international students:

Can I get private health insurance in France?

To increase the amount of your healthcare expenses that are reimbursed, you may opt for a complementary health insurance which is called mutuelle. Depending on the company and the options you need, the annual charge may vary.

Emergency Numbers

Here are the important emergency numbers:

112: the European emergency number;

15:  the SAMU (Service d’Aide Médicale Urgente - Emergency Medical Service);

18: the Fire Brigade;

And 3624: for a house-call doctor if you are too ill to travel. This service is available 24/7

Who can help me with more information and support?

The first week at Istituto Marangoni Paris is an induction week when the dedicated team will hold several sessions to tell you more about the medical treatment in France, explain the step-by-step procedure to get a social security card and renew it, medical appointment procedure and answer all your questions.

At Hand Assistance:

Istituto Marangoni partnered with International SOS.
International SOS offers a portal (and app), dedicated to all students of Istituto Marangoni 24/7: not only an easy way to find useful numbers and contact information, but also good advice for traveling abroad.

  • Medical assistance and support: students are offered an unlimited telephone consultation with the dedicated school staff;
  • Advice and alert system: the platform is activated in the event of a crisis and provides immediate response when an emergency occurs. It includes a multi-modal communication option to enable prompt assistance.

Please note that International SOS does not replace your health insurance. All services will be made available to you in your native language, so that no barriers can keep you from feeling safe and protected. 


Psychological Well-Being:

Psychological well-being can be achieved by maintaining a positive outlook on life by developing effective coping strategies to reduce and manage stress, and through accepting and exploring oneself. For this reason, Istituto Marangoni, in cooperation with International SOS, offers psychological support to its students: mental health is crucial, even more so for students who are far from home.