Discover the next Open Days Milano · Firenze · London · Paris · Dubai Register nowDiscover the next Open Days

Start Your Journey

Discover how to plan your arrival in Paris, how to start your journey in a new country and what you need to know to make your integration as smooth as possible.

Which documents do I need to bring along?

We recommend that you prepare the following documents and bring them to France.

Identity documents:
  • identity card;
  • passport;
  • birth certificate (a translated and certified copy);
  • driving licence (if you are planning on driving in France).
  • international travel and health insurance

For students -18 years old:

  • copy of parents’ passports/id cards
  • waiver letter (signed by parents) 
  • copy of guardian’s passport (if different from parents)
  • declaration for minor students, signed by parents and guardian
Documents relating to your studies in France:
  • enrolment certificate;
  • proof of language ability (English certificate);
  • previous degrees (a translated and certified copy).
Documents relating to your trip:
  • your train or plane tickets;
  • your itinerary from the airport.
Documents relating to setting up:
  • the printed reservation of your accommodation;
  • the contact information for your contacts in France/emergency contacts
What is the Induction Week about?

Before starting the course at Istituto Marangoni Paris, you will join the induction week to get registered at school and we will equip you with all the information you need: you will learn how to register your residence permit, open a bank account, get a local SIM card etc. A dedicated Istituto Marangoni team will be there for you to accompany you and support if you have any questions.

How do I register at school?

During the induction week, you will have to pay a contribution to campus and student life (CVEC) that costs 100 euros per year. You can pay it online at even before coming to France.

You will need to keep the proof of payment and provide it to us during the induction week.

The contribution to campus and student life is paid to the CROUS (Centre régional des œuvres universitaires et scolaires) to maintain students’ social, health, cultural and sports facilities.

How do I register my residence permit?

If you came to France with a long stay visa used as residence permit (VLS-TS in French), you must validate your visa as soon as you arrive in France. You must validate your visa online within 3 months of arriving in France at the very latest.

Please visit:

You will need:

  • a valid email address,
  • information on your visa,
  • your date of arrival in France,
  • your home address in France,
  • a bank card to pay online the fee for issuing the residence permit.

If you have not got a French bank account yet, you can buy an electronic stamp (timbre électronique) at a kiosk, at a dedicated terminal, and pay in cash. The fee is 50 euros.

It is very important to validate your VLS -TS visa within the first 3 months as it entitles you to legally stay in France for the whole period of studies and leave France beyond the 3 months after your arrival.

How do I get a social security id?
European students

If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you don't need to register to the French social security. You can use your card and receive healthcare in France. Students concerned are those with the nationality of a country of the European Union, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

Non-European students arriving in France

You must register to the French general social security system. Registration is done online at etudiant-etranger.ameli.frYou must complete your registration immediately after the registration to your institution and after the validation of your visa.

​You will be issued a "carte vitale" (social security card) to take medical appointments and get reimbursements.

These are some examples of the medical costs:

Check up with a General Practitioner/ Specialist: 25 euros (16,5 euros reimbursed)

Check up with a Specialist: 30 euros (the amount of reimbursement may vary).

How much is public transport in Paris?

Paris’ public transportation system is run by RATP.

As a student under 26 years old you may benefit from an annual transportation card - Imagine R card. It costs 350 euros and it allows you to make an unlimited number of journeys using public transportation.

You can create your account on and upload the following documents to get the card:

  • A recent photo
  • Bank card details
  • Enrolment certificate
  • Proof of identity

The Metro opens at about 05:30 am and the last train leaves at 00:40 am (depends on the metro station)

The closest metro station to the school is Miromesnil (line 9 and line 13).

If you wish to travel in France, we recommend to take advantage of TGV (Train à Grande Vitesse - High Speed Train) The railway system  is managed by the SNCF (Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer français – French National Railway Company). Visit the mobile application to plan your journey and buy online tickets.

You may also benefit from a special MAX Jeune pass for 16-27 year old students travelling in France. Please, check the offer at

How do I get a local mobile phone number?

In France you can choose between a prepaid SIM card and a mobile phone contract. Prepaid SIMs are generally the quickest and easiest option to get you connected.These will allow you to make a predetermined number of calls, text messages, and have a certain mobile data allowance depending on the option. Mobile phone contracts usually offer cheaper rates but usually involve a 12-months/24-months subscription that cannot be cancelled.

You will need the following documents to sign up for a subscription:

  • Proof of identity
  • Residence address in France
  • French bank account for payment
What is my monthly budget in Paris?

Most students in Paris would need a minimum of €1400 per month to live on. This will cover your accommodation, your food, average clothing and basic needs. Here are some examples from typical everyday life minimum costs per month:

  • Room in a shared apartment: From 600€
  • Private studio: From 800€ to 1200€
  • Home insurance: From 80€ to 100 € / year
  • Electricity: From 50€
  • Mobile/WiFi: From 20 € to 50 €
  • Public transport ticket: €30 for under 26 years old students
  • Grocery shopping: 300€
How to open a bank account?

Any international student can open a bank account in France. You will need the following documents:

  • Identification card
  • proof of residence
  • enrolment certificate/student card

After you open a bank account, you will receive a bank card and a cheque book. You will also have a RIB - bank account information slip - that will allow you to easily make and receive bank transfers.

Istituto Marangoni Paris partners with two French banks - Société Générale and BNP Paribas, their branches are just next door to the school.

You may take an appointment with them at: 

Agence Société Générale – Paris Messine

113 Boulevard Haussmann, 75008, Paris

Tel. +33(0) 1 44 51 00 10 

Agence BNP Paribas – Paris Saint Philippe du Roule

113 Rue du Faubourg Saint Honoré, 75008, Paris

Tel. + 33(0) 7 64 37 52 38