Discover the next Open Days Milano · Firenze · London · Paris · Dubai Register nowDiscover the next Open Days

Upon your arrival

Upon arrival, Pick Up Service

To get you to your destination in the city E-mail:

Ph: 0039 380 209 4201

09:00am to 7:00pm UTC+1 Monday to Friday • Whatsapp/Telegram/WeChat available

We recommend that you get in touch with Balsamo Care one week before your arrival, to be sure that the pick-up service can be arranged. Remember to specify your flight details and the number of suitcases you will be travelling with.

Public transportation

Milan’s main public transport system is run by ATM (Azienda Trasporti Milanesi). Metro (subway) is the easiest way to get around the city. Link:

The nearest Metro stations to our Campus are:

  • Duomo (MM1, MM3)
  • San Babila (MM1)
  • Montenapoleone (MM3)

Public transport tickets should be purchased before you travel. You can find them at newsstands, tabacchi stores, cafes and vending machines at Metro stations.

The Metro opens at about 06:00am and the last train leaves at 12:30pm.

How much is public transport in Milan?

One ticket for the urban network costs €2.00 (valid for 1 hour and 30 minutes)

Students under 27 can easily buy a monthly student travel card. You can also check this link for more information:

Apart from public transport, how can I get around the city?

Milan is experiencing major development and changes in city mobility.

Here are a few tips. Note that Milan now provides several shared mobility services for cars, motor scooters, bikes and scooters.

Taxi: official Milan taxis are generally white. They are one of the most popular modes of transport in the city. They are usually lined up at stands and can also be called by phone/via app.

We suggest using only official licensed taxis, which are clearly identified by the taxi sign on the roof and a numbered shield on the side

You can call a taxi using the new Milano In Taxi service:

The service will connect you to the nearest taxi, inform you about waiting times and your taxi’s ID number.

Car: traffic in Milan is often heavy and driving in the city centre can be quite an experience. Parking downtown can also be a handful.

Moreover, note that there is a €5.00 city tax to enter the centre of Milan (Area C), between 7:30 am and 7:30pm. Make sure you pay it no later than 24 hours after entering the city centre.

Motor Scooter: scooters are an excellent way to travel around town and many locals use them to reach their destinations quickly, avoiding long queues and traffic jams. Riders are required to wear helmets by law.

Bicycle: cycling around Milan can be a fun way to get around - when the traffic is light. There is often heavy traffic in the city centre, so cycling in this area is for the more confident cyclists.

Scooter: over the past year, scooters have become a popular way of getting around town.

How to get a tax ID code?
The Italian “Codice Fiscale” is a tax identification card in Italy. It consists of a 16-character alphanumeric code, which you may need to sign a contract (for your accommodation or mobile phone plan) or to open a bank account among other things.
You can apply for your Codice Fiscale at the Italian Consulate in your home country before you get to Italy.
Once in Italy, you can obtain your Codice Fiscale at any office of the Italian Revenue Agency  (even via email)

The one nearest the school is: Agenzia delle Entrate, Via della Moscova 2 Milano, 20121. For more information and support, please call 0039 02 97694111, Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 12:30am or send and email to:
You will need to submit: a Copy of your Passport Photo page, a Copy of your Visa page (for non-EU students only), your address in your home country and the form Application for a Tax Code (available at this link)

Your Codice Fiscale will be issued free of charge and does not expire.
Is there free Wi-Fi in Milan?

Milano launched a municipal free indoor and outdoor Wi-Fi project, becoming one of the most advanced cities in the public offer of Wi-Fi connection for all. Please find more details here

What about Mobile Phone?

The good news is that you have a lot of options when it comes to keeping in touch via mobile phone when you’re travelling to Italy.

First, alert your phone provider that you’ll be traveling to Italy and check if they can turn on an international plan of some kind; virtually all modern smartphones are compatible with Europe’s mobile infrastructure and every major phone carrier has international data plans — so your smartphone should automatically work once you arrive in Europe because the major carriers have partnerships with local European carriers.

However, many of these international plans are expensive so you might get hit with costly international data roaming if you’re not careful, and speeds can be slow.

Your other option is to buy an Italian SIM card that comes with a prepaid data plan. There are several mobile carriers and each will offer multiple plans (either pay-as-you-go or bundled), so just pick one that best fits your needs. Major carriers are typically the most user-friendly and should provide the best speed/coverage.

To get a SIM card in Italy, just bring your passport and your ‘tax code’ to a mobile phone shop.

How to open a bank account?

International residents of legal age (at least 18) can freely open normal euro bank accounts. Among others, you can contact the following bank to open a bank account:

Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A., Filiale 08051 – Milano 27
Address: Via Marconi ang. Piazza Diaz, 20123 Milano

The necessary documents include:

  • A Valid Passport and identity document issued in your home country
  • Your Italian tax ID code (codice fiscale) 
  • Your Permit of stay
  • Proof that you live in Milano (e.g. apartment rental agreement, etc)
  • Istituto Marangoni Certificate of Enrollment (which you get once you complete the enrolment process)

We can also suggest you also a few options of accounts totally online you can access to. For more details, you can always rely on IM Life Office.

As a non-EU citizen, do I have any obligations, apart from my Student Visa?

All non-EU citizens with a study visa for Italy must apply for a student residence permit (permesso di soggiorno per motivi di studio).

Permit of Stay application

Step 1: post office application

Submit a copy of the following documents at the post office (do NOT submit original documents):

  • Completed Post Office Application/Yellow Kit
  • Photocopy of the Istituto Marangoni admission confirmation / enrollment certificate 
  • Photocopy of the passport (personal data page + student Visa page only)
  • Photocopy of insurance policy
  • Photocopy of Financial Statement
  • Italian duty stamp (Marca da Bollo) of €16,00. It can be purchased at any Tabacchi shop
  • Receipt of payment of €70,46 paid at the Post Office for the Permit of Stay
  • Application Fee: €30,00 to be paid at the Post Office when submitting the application

Step 2: appointment at the Immigration Office (Questura-Ufficio Immigrazione)

Step 3: collect your permit of stay

is the agency that can assist you in getting the Permit of Stay or the Fiscal Code.
contact person: Vittorio Careri

As a EU citizen, do I have any obligations?

Citizens of the European Union with more than 3 months of stay are requested to register their residence with the relevant authority. Just fill in this form (click here), sign it and submit it by e-mail to the City Registry office with attached:

  • Scan of your EU ID or Passport
  • Scan of your Codice Fiscale certificate or card (pdf)
  • Scan of a statement of enrollment by your university/academy (pdf)
  • As proof of health coverage: Copy of your EHIC European health insurance card, or of S1 form, or Italian Tessera Sanitaria or private insurance certificate (pdf)

After a couple of weeks you will receive a confirmation email with a protocol number as a receipt.