FASHION DESIGN & MENSWEAR
Join the creative boom of contemporary fashion menswear
BA (Hons) Degree* ** (Pathways)
|enrolment fee||£ 3.300|
|tuition fee EU||£ 14.600|
|tuition fee non-EU||£ 18.300|
** Participants who successfully complete the programmes taught in English in London and Paris will be awarded a BA (Hons) degree by Manchester Metropolitan University-UK; 120 credit points must be earned for each year of study in order for an honours degree to be awarded, so students will obtain 360 credits upon successful completion of the three-year course. Participants on the four-year sandwich course will receive 120 practice credits for the additional year. All candidates should meet specific requirements (please check the website www.mmu.ac.uk/international indicating your nationality and study level). For further details please do not hesitate to contact the information office.
English and EU domiciled students may be eligible for tuition fee support, to contribute towards the annual fees, via Student Loan Company (SLC) and maintenance support dependent upon eligibility.
** For the London School, payment must be made in GBP only.
The menswear industry is growing and designers specialised in this area are in the middle of a creative boom. With leading designers moving into menswear, the tide is now changing and the market for men’s apparel is getting more and more media attention, in addition to increasing brand revenue. This three year full time course forms multi-skilled designers specialising in the active menswear market.
Participants learn how to create innovative collections, and the study and application of research methods for creative and original product development are key throughout. Womenswear is a tried and tested market, and while still bigger and ‘faster’, the relationship between men and women’s brands is crossing barriers, with innovative designers also bridging gaps in both arenas. Menswear is a different fashion animal altogether. Not only considering fit, line and attention to detail, menswear designers need to have the creativity and flair to be able to connect with this distinct target audience in style, trend, and emotion.
Designers create collections from an accurate analysis of the market, materials and fabrics, communicating their influences and concepts derived from any form or art, experience or background, and successfully interconnecting this vision to industry needs or brand strategies. The course moves on through all aspects of fashion illustration with particular attention to patternmaking and tailoring skills essential to producing high-quality men’s apparel, as well as an analysis of clothing manufacturing through deconstruction. Participants are encouraged to experiment with new approaches in the industry that are evolving today, including renewable and sustainable resources, innovative materials and new technologies, building individual style and creative and professional abilities. The course also provides a solid base in fashion design and the fashion system, embracing the principles of fashion business including brand identity, positioning and marketing, consumer habits, and trends.
Communication skills provide an added professional approach in the negotiation and presentation of design ideas to companies and new clients. A final graduation event or a fashion show introduces collections or portfolios to a selected audience of leading fashion experts, journalists, bloggers, designers and head-hunters – a unique experience opening up industry networking and career opportunities.
This course is part of the fashion design study pathways. With fashion design as the core subject, participants specialise in the chosen area of interest (menswear), completing the course with a distinct professional profile.
This course is also available as a BA (Hons) four-year course (including Sandwich Year Placement).
* Participants who successfully complete the programmes taught in English in London and Paris will be awarded a BA (Hons) degree by Manchester Metropolitan University-UK; 120 credit points must be earned for each year of study in order for an honours degree to be awarded, so students will obtain 360 credits upon successful completion of the three-year course. Participants on the four-year sandwich course will receive 120 practice credits for the additional year. All candidates should meet specific requirements (please check the website www.mmu.ac.uk/international indicating your nationality and study level). For further details please do not hesitate to contact the information office.
* Gli studenti che completeranno con successo i programmi ‘AFAM’ erogati a Milano o Firenze conseguiranno un Diploma Accademico di I Livello. Riconosciuto dal Ministero Italiano dell’Istruzione come diploma accademico equivalente ad una laurea di primo livello, gli studenti otterranno 180 CFA (crediti formativi accademici), equivalenti a 180 crediti ECTS. Per maggiori informazioni, si invita a contattare l’ufficio informazioni della scuola.
** For the London School, payment must be made in GBP only.
- Fashion drawing & illustration (2D, 3D)
- Pattern cutting & pattern making, atelier pattern making, construction
- Visual communication & professional presentation skills
- Digital design & printing methods
- The study of fabrics and materials
- Professional design portfolio & collection
- Marketing & fashion business practices
- Analysis and strategies of contemporary fashion
- History of luxury & brand heritage
- Creative research methods
POSSIBLE CAREER PATHS
- Fashion designer
- Fashion illustrator
- Pattern maker
- Trend forecaster/coolhunter
- Costume designer
STUDY UNITS · LONDON
- Fashion Drawing Fundamentals
- Fashion Design Fundamentals
- Fashion Collection Fundamentals
- History of Art and Fashion
- Fashion Brand Exploration
- Art & Fashion Exploration Menswear
- Personal Style Development Menswear
- Fashion, Art and Cultural Context
- Personal Research & Concept Development Menswear
- Final Major Project Fashion Design & Menswear
- Final Dissertation
BOF · BADGE OF EXCELLENCE
Badges of Excellence recognise a school’s strengths in four key areas: Best Overall, Best in Global Influence, Best in Learning Experience and Best in Long-Term Value.
- Global Influence – The global reputation and influence of a school, based on the selectivity of a school in admitting applicants and the enrolment rates of admitted applicants.
An Overall BoF Score was then awarded to each institution based on the sum-weighted score across all three key indices.