Fashion Design & Accessories
These undergraduate programmes are designed for participants looking to enter the fashion world, and provide a complete education allowing participants to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to pursue a career in the chosen field.
Accessories are the new fashion objects of desire and make the difference to a winning collection and brand name. This three year full time course forms multi-skilled designers, fully qualified in the latest fashion and accessories design techniques and approaches. Covering shoes, bags, and fashion collection design, the course nurtures creativity and individual style, while also responding to new demands and trends in the fashion and luxury market.
By studying the main contemporary artistic movements, and the latest styles and trends which influence accessories design, participants develop an aesthetic sensitivity, appreciating the intrinsic values and characteristics of an accessories product, namely the emotions and perceptions customers take from a fashion item to produce products that create desire. They learn how to research and contextualise ideas and are encouraged to experiment with new approaches in the industry that are evolving today, including renewable and sustainable resources, innovative materials and new technologies, building individual style and creative and professional abilities. Participants also explore how Italian manufacturing is exemplary in its identification and use of materials and manufacturing techniques, giving a focus on the excellence that is “Italianness”: craftsmanship, design and style. The use of traditional techniques and new technologies are well balanced to ensure participants gain comprehensive skills in all areas: from hand illustration, to the latest software packages, progressing through 2D into 3D design, and also 3D printing techniques. They understand the viability of accessory production and development, working and evaluating material requirements via full shape analysis. This dynamic course provides a solid base in the fashion system; a model that embraces many different aspects of todays fast changing and competitive fashion industry. The evolution of fashion, and fashion accessory design is also studied from its humble beginnings as a functional add-on, to the elevated status it has today as the signature piece in a fashion collection. A final graduation showcase event gives participants the opportunity to exhibit their work and achieve recognition through networking. Guided by an experienced faculty team of industry experts, the final year concludes with the creation of a professional portfolio and accessories design collection. This course is part of the fashion design study pathways. With fashion design as the core subject, participants specialise in the chosen area of interest (accessories), completing the course with a distinct professional profile. This course is also available as a BA (Hons) four-year course (including Sandwich Year Placement).
- Fashion drawing & illustration (2D, 3D)
- Prototyping (lab & workshop) pattern cutting, maquette
- Visual communication & professional presentation skills
- Digital design & 3d printing
- The study of fabrics and materials
- Professional design portfolio & collection
- Marketing & fashion business
- Analysis and strategies of contemporary fashion
- History of luxury accessories & brand heritage
- Creative research methods
- Accessories designer
- Accessories pattern maker
- Handbag designer
- Fashion illustrator
- Product manager
- Fashion Drawing Fundamentals
- Fashion Design Fundamentals
- Fashion Collection Fundamentals
- History of Art and Fashion
- Fashion Brand Exploration
- Accessories Design Methodology
- The Art of Luxury
- Fashion, Art and Cultural Context
- Product and Style Innovation
- Final Major Project Fashion Design & Accessories
- Final Dissertation
Badges of Excellence recognise a school’s strengths in four key areas: Best Overall, Best in Global Influence, Best in Learning Experience and Best in Long-Term Value.
- Global Influence – The global reputation and influence of a school, based on the selectivity of a school in admitting applicants and the enrolment rates of admitted applicants.
An Overall BoF Score was then awarded to each institution based on the sum-weighted score across all three key indices.