Discover the next Open Days Milano · Firenze · London · Paris · Dubai Register nowDiscover the next Open Days
Nov 09, 2022

Better together: We reunited, and it was a-maze-ing

“I think this is the first time that all Istituto Marangoni alumni have gathered together,” stated Stefania Valenti, Managing Director of Istituto Marangoni, as she welcomed us to the stunning venue of the Sheraton Diana Majestic in Milan. “Our goal is to connect our best talents with industry,” she said.

Of course, the mission was also to create connections between the best-in-class creatives who attended the school’s campuses, as we thought when we met our peers who had travelled to Milan from all over the world.

I'M Alumni at the Istituto Marangoni reunion

I'M Global Alumni reunion in Milan

But let’s take a step back. We were invited to the first I’M Global Alumni Reunion as part of the Istituto Marangoni I’M Community. Held in a historic hotel in the very heart of Milan, that night allowed us to catch up with old friends and classmates, make new contacts and network with Istituto Marangoni alumni who have grown into fashion experts and leaders, all part of the I’M Community.

Bringing together over 40,000 students and Istituto Marangoni alumni who share the values and skills learnt at the school’s campuses, the international and multicultural I’M Community is a bridge connecting 107 nationalities.

I'M Alumni at the I'M Global Alumni reunion

The first I'M Global Alumni reunion took place at the Sheraton Diana Majestic in Milan

As alumni and players in today’s fashion industry, 70% of us are top professionals, while the remaining 30% are entrepreneurs. And we come 36% from Europe and 17% from mainland China, while 15% of us are from Latin America and 10% from Russia. But we also come from Asia Pacific (9%), the Middle East Gulf and Indian Subcontinent (7%), and North America. 

“You are a true testimony of the school’s value throughout the world,” said Cristina Cancer, Head of Alumni, Career Service & Industry Relations at Istituto Marangoni. During that first I’m Global Alumni Reunion, while sharing information on our careers and thinking about opportunities to merge our skills and cultures for future projects, we experienced first-hand how valuable it is to be part of a global community and industry network. “Networking and meeting people is crucial,” a colleague of mine pointed out. “I feel events like this are something that is expected of those who choose to study at a school like Istituto Marangoni.” A little later, a friend of hers continued: “These events allow you to understand what others do and learn from their paths in fashion.”

I'M Alumni at the I'M Global Alumni reunion

I'M Global Alumni reunion 2022

Combined with global career support and mentoring (with experts but also peer-to-peer), an international work platform, and a global offer of events and access to facilities provided by Istituto Marangoni, that kind of get-together offers a unique opportunity to expand your connections.

“I always feel at home at Istituto Marangoni,” someone said during the event. “Here, I have reunited with incredible friends while getting to know other people, the younger ones, the older ones, finding out what they do in life”. 

I'M Alumni at the I'M Global Alumni reunion

I'M Global Alumni reunion 2022

“I just like the idea of getting back together and meeting up with my friends and new friends,” others said, while some of the guys mentioned the joy of meeting “a lot of people, a lot of colleagues from many different places all over the world.”

But the most significant statement came from a girl who completed her studies during the Covid-19 pandemic. She noted how social distancing had created a void of ways in which people can feel connected over the past two years. That’s why “it’s such an important thing to reconnect,” she stated. “From my class, we had no face-to-face interactions, so this night is perfect. You’re missing out if you’re not here.”

She was echoed by a girl who greeted me with a bright smile at the end of the night: “I hope Istituto Marangoni continues to organise events like this.”

I'M Alumni at the I'M Global Alumni reunion

I'M Global Alumni reunion 2022



Margherita Malaguti
Alumna & Editor, Milan
postgraduate-Master's Degrees · Master's Courses · Master of Arts
postgraduate-Master's Degrees · Master's Courses · Master of Arts